Sunday, October 30, 2011

Good Times

Well, like always I am way behind in life and so much to catch up on. Luckily, we have actually been busy doing some fun things which have created some awesome memories.

The first one was TAYLOR SWIFT concert on September 28!! Call me a teeny bopper or whatever you may but I just adore this girl. She is SO talented, a great singer, and just a good person (I know since we are best friends and all...;) and she did date my second crush (Zach is my first of course)...Jacob as we all know him from Twilight, so she has good taste in men too! :)
Zach surprised me with tickets because I tell him every time she comes...next time we need to go. The best part about it is how he surprised me....We were saying our nightly prayers before bed together and it was his turn. In the middle of his prayer he says, "We thank thee that we can go to Taylor Swift concert." Some may think that that is irreverent or whatever but it was too cute and funny! So Zach for ya!
We had such a fun time together and it was Zach's very first concert EVER!!! Crazy I know! As we were walking up and there were all these girls everywhere Zach said..."you probably should have brought a friend...I feel out of place." But I wouldn't have wanted anyone else there but my BFF of course! He had a great time though and she was AMAZING!! I would totally recommend it and would definitely go again.
This is the closest we could get to her...Not sure why she didn't invite me back stage since we are such great friends...she must have forgot I guess. :)

We watched the screen a lot of the night since are noses were bleeding up at the top but it was still ALL good.

Can you see her way down there tearing it up?!

She came a little closer halfway into the show and sang several songs with just her guitar on this circling tree thing. She sounded so good!

The end she flew around on this little balcony thing.

Besides being a Taylor Swift fan...I am now an official hunter!!! I still can't quite figure out how it all went down but within a month I took my hunter safety class, started practicing my killer shot ;), and went on my first hunts. Zach has always been way into hunting and that has definitely been one of the things he misses most since he lost his sight. Every year, mostly around pheasant season because that was his most favorite hunt, he gets a little down. His cute friend Jake still always invites him to go but it just isn't the same. I think he would pay any money in the world just to see for one day during pheasant season and just go at it. I still am hoping one day he will have the chance again! Anyways, he talked me into hunting "for him" this year and I was up to the challenge. I've shot clay pigeons and rabbits before but that is all I have ever done. I was excited but I think Zach was even more excited about it all. It made my day to see him light up as we were getting ready for it all and talking about it.

So, we got a tag for muzzle loader deer hunt. Jake's brother Josh was nice enough to let us borrow his gun and Jake took us out to practice a couple of times. Jake also invited us to go out on his boat opening day for duck hunt. Zach explained to me that this is a very big deal since opening day is supposed to be the best day out there, so of course I had to say yes! ;) (I even turned out a girls trip to St. George for it...true hunter dedication there right?!)
Like every good hunter ;)...we had to go scout out some spots before the hunt. So we took our ranger out a couple of nights and Zach and Jake went out a couple nights and drove around.

We practiced up...
Zach teaching me how to load the gun

Jake telling me to shoot at some birds

Dakota's girlfriend Hadlee hung out with Dakota while we shot

Zach trying to shoot at a plastic bottle

My first day of deer hunting I realized what I was in for real quick. Zach, Jake, Travis and I went out one evening and we hiked up some steep ole mountains and saw nothing!! As I was wanting to die hiking up the mountain I just thought it will all be worth it when Zach and Travis push a huge buck out to me...I'll be ready. All that came out of the bushes was Zach and Travis...I was like, what the heck! So we hiked some more and Jake and I waited and waited and waited and all that came out again was Zach and Jake. I did see a deer for a split second down below us that was in some thick trees so I guess that counts. I came to realize real quick that this isn't as easy as target practice. I was ready to shoot at something but I guess you learn patience as a hunter.
My first day

The boys...don't mind Jake's hand!


You probable cant' see us with all that camo but we are right in the middle. ;) The best part about it was the fall leaves were coming on and it was beautiful up there! It made the hiking more worth it when you got to the top and was able to check out the gorgeous views.

We had some good fires which were much needed since it was pretty cold in the mornings and nights. Jake getting the courage up to throw some gas on our weak fire.

Great action shot running away! :)

Of course we had to make smores...the best part about camping is the food of course!

Jake and I coming down the mountain...no deer!

The boys

We went to lunch one day since the deer aren't out much during the day to Zach's most favorite spot ever...Carlos and Harley's in Eden. He would seriously eat there every day if he could!

Jake let me shoot his handgun and I sucked at it.

We had to do a little spousal swap in the ole ranger so Jake and I could be up front and get out quick if the opportunity arose. It wasn't so bad! ;)
Heidi and Zach

Jake and I

Roasted hot dogs of course

Not exactly sure what Zach is doing in this pic Heidi took but the leaves are sweet and that guy isn't too bad looking himself!

So I know you are dying to know how big of a buck I got on this hunt..............
but I didn't get one. ;( We only saw some bucks 2 times during our campout and both times we never got close enough to get a good shot off since you have to be pretty close with the muzzle loader. We got close enough to where I got the excited and nervous feelings of a hunter and even got my gun up and pointed while Jake tried to look through the binoculars to tell me which one was a buck but I never even got to shoot the dang gun so that was a little disappointing. It would have been nice to at least shoot at them to say I tried but I didn't even get to do that. Overall, it was still way fun even though the last day was pouring rain on us. There are always some good laughs with Jake and Heidi and maybe next time I will have better luck!
Scoping them out right before they decided to take off and we get poured on.

Jake did shoot a couple of grouse at least so we had some success!

Opening day for duck hunt was quite the experience as well. I realized I don't quite have the dedication of a true hunter that morning when my alarm went off at 2 a.m. and I wanted to stay in bed instead of go out in the freezing cold with a bunch of boys. We got out on the water about 4 a.m. and got our spot. We then waited and waited while the mosquitoes tore us up until 7:30 rolled around so we could start shooting. This time I at least shot several times but I didn't even hit one. ;( It wasn't as easy as clay pigeon practice but the boys were always there backing me up. Overall we took home like 7 or 8 I think. It wasn't as good of opening day as it usually is because the weather was still pretty warm so that is my excuse why I didn't get one. It didn't get as many chances as I should have. ;) It was fun though...I definitely need some more practice!
Jake trying to explain to me what a duck looks like and how I shoot it. ;)

Zach and I snuggled up

Jake, Zach, and I ready at all times.

Me and my cute hubby

Cheddar, Jake, Zach and I all finished up and ready for a nap!

Hunting is fun...it would have just been more fun if I was better and would have gotten something. The boys tried to make me feel better though and tell me on their first times they weren't good either and that it takes more experience. I hope they are right! ;)


We celebrated Zach's birthday on the 19th! He finally caught up to his old lady and turned the big 27! My cute friend that helps me with Dakota's therapy saw my birthday message to Zach on my chalk board and she said, "wow he's only 27! You guys are young!" I'm like I know, but with all of our life experience we should be turning bout 100 right now. At least it feels like it!
We celebrated with his family the Sunday before. His grandparents took us to dinner the day before. We didn't do a whole lot the day of cuz I surprised him on the weekend and took him to Park City for a night while his awesome sister Jenny watched Dakota. It was just a quick trip but we had such a good time just getting out of the routine of life and doing something different for a change. Zach's favorite part of it all was the massages we got the next morning...I didn't mind it too bad either. ;) I am such a lame wife though and didn't get any pictures but the memories are in our head. :)
The best present he got for his birthday though was a brand new niece. His sister Ashley had their baby girl Maelee Marie Hadley on his birthday. We are so excited to have her in our family and of course she is such a little doll.
I'm not gonna lie...I went through a stage for awhile where it was hard to hear that our friends, family and those around me were pregnant. Mostly just because of the selfish fact that that is where I thought that we would be at at this point in our lives and instead we are in a completely different world that I never could have imagined us being in. Before Dakota's accident I would have definitely wanted to have another baby by now or at least be pregnant but with how our life is right now it is not possible for us at this point. So even though I was SO happy for Ashley and Beau, it was hard at the same time. But I don't know exactly what happened that has changed me. I'm sure it is divine help from above but I have come to accept the fact that it is OKAY! I have accepted that when the time is right for us to allow our family to grow then we will know and it will be right for us. I don't know why there is this unspoken feeling that everything has to happen on a certain timeline or else. You have to get married by a certain age, have kids by a certain age, have them only this far apart, have this many kids, etc. I have come to understand that their is no right way of doing any of this and that all that matters is what is right for you and your family and the Lord will help you know and understand this. I am at peace with where our family is right now and when the time comes for a change I know it will be the right time for us. So with COMPLETELY happy hearts we welcome our sweet Mealee with hugs and kisses...sorry Ashley and Beau we have a lot of them stored up for her! :)
Maelee and Dakota

He also got to chill with Houston while we were there

Dakota just randomly got his arm up on Houstons head. It was pretty funny.

We also got to take Dakota to Punkinaze in Roy. I had been wanting to take him there since he loved that bouncy slide so I was thinking he would love the big slide there too. We invited Ashley, Beau, and Houston too. When we got to the front to pay the people that own it let us in free. They were related to some of our friends and read our blog. It was too sweet. They were so happy to see Dakota and were so cute to him.
We ended up staying a lot longer then we planned mostly because Houston was having a ball. Dakota liked it but I didn't get the same smile I did from him down the other slide.
The sun was in our eyes at first so Dakota didn't love that.

We made it!

Dakota and Houston played in the corn pit and found some treats!


It was a fun outing as a fam!


Dakota is still loving school. As we were driving to school the other day I turned down the street and said, "I see your school Dakota! We are almost there and you get to see your friends!" I turned back and he just had this huge smile and did his little laugh." It was too cute. He has the cutest nurse that has sent me pictures of him on my phone during school.
This is what he has been doing when I'm not around....
Holding other girls hands!!!! I can't believe it. The nurse says the girls just love to hug, kiss and hold his hand and now I believe it.

These 2 cute girls were helping him decide which color of hat he wanted.

He even started riding the bus home last week and they said he just looked out the window.
Getting off the bus. I am a dork and had my video camera out for the big bus moment. I was filming the front door of the bus and then as I watched the driver open up the back for the wheelchair lift I realized... duh, he can't come out the front. Just one of those moments when you realize it's not how you pictured his first bus ride to look like but oh well. He was still so dang cute getting off the bus.

Dad was there to welcome him home too and that is his cute nurse Robin that we love!!!


WE SURE LOVE YOU...OUR LITTLE LADIES MAN!
Get better and I'll let you call ALL your girlfriends as much as you want!!



Funny/Sweet Moments:
1. We like to give him little tastes of things we eat and he LOVES it! He just watches you eat and stares at whatever you have. Zach decided to give him a taste of his jerky and he just kinda bit down on it and it just sat there.









7 comments:

  1. What a great post Tess. I found myself laughing ALOT through this at all the good hunting experiences, you're a trooper!!! :) I really need to get my test done so you're not the only girl out there (I'm stealing a couple of pics from the duck hunt, hope that is ok!) So jealous about the concert and we really have to go together next time she is in town!! Dakota, handsome Dakota, you need to watch the ladies... Hadlee girl is gonna be super jealous when she sees these! She sure LOVES her boyfriend and loves to hang out with you!! Keep up the great work buddy!! Those bus pictures are SO CUTE!! You guys are the CUTEST parents ever!! :) Love you guys so much and happy late birthday to Zach, we're lame friends and completely forgot! (please forgive us Zach, Jake will make it up to you next time he sees you I'm sure!!)
    PS: that pic of Zach, I was just taking it of him since we were having that spousal swap, ha ha kidding,remember going up that steep trail and he would have to get out and hold those trees down everytime, that is what it was!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you went hunting! You had to have been the hottest chick out on the hunt! Loved the camo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute post! Dakota always has been and always be a ladies man :) Oh how I miss seeing you guys in person (but I do love catching up through these posts). And you officially get the most awesomest wife award ever for going hunting--more than once in the same season!

    And I love Zach's prayer. What a fun surprise for you. Glad you two got out and had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to be the hottest hunting wife ever!!
    I love the picture of Houston and Dakota. What cute cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. reading this makes me want to go hunting so so bad! I seriously was just telling clayton the other day that I really wanted to go hunting next year! I haven't ever shot anything let alone packed the gun with me and I think it would be soo fun to actually shoot a deer! Anyways I'm so glad that you were able to go and have a good time! I bet Zach really enjoyed it as well! And can I just tell you how freaking jealous I am that you were able to go to Taylor Swift? Thats sooooo awesome! I really wanted to go so bad! And Dakota has been and will always be a little ladies man! He is so dang cute! And I am so glad you guys could come and party with us the other night! I hope you had fun! I tagged you in some pics on FB i got some good ones of you and Dakota and some of Zach and Dakota.. I'll still e-mail them to you too! Anywho, great post, I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Cute Friedli Fam!!
    Looks like you guys had fun out there!! Got a taste of Nature eh!! Your pictures are great!! Can I just say..each time you post, you can see Dakotas Progress more and more. I know I'm only seeing it through pictures But Its noticeable from my end!!:) Happy Late Birthday to Z. Weird hes 27..I still think of him as this young little lad!! I remember his Birthday because its the same day as my Mommas! Pretty cool Day!! I'm SO glad you had a little outing to the good ol Punkinaze. One of my very Best friends Is a Stratford. She was working the Ticket booth some of that night (I'm pretty sure she was the one who let you in) Shes Awesome like that (yes we follow you guys on a regular basis)!! She said Dakota looked Adorable and they loved watching you guys go down the slide! I'm just happy you guys are able to enjoy the simplest things in life...together:) Since its November I would like to say that I am Thankful for Families like you. Even though you have been thrown a curve ball in life..You still come out knocking the obstacles out of the ball park..you progress and you live! Stay Happy and Healthy Friedlies. You are thought of often!!
    Your friend...Hollie Pepe

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Friedli Family,

    wow.. i wonder how am i gonna find this old friend who was onces known Elder Friedli. thank you Tessi for this page its great and amazing. you been alots, i salute you. you are one amazing women!

    oh!and i don't think that Brother Friedli Remember me, i am his old old TONGAN friend.

    i do love the hunting parts. i never goes hunting before and i guess that will never be. if i ever come close by you guys maybe you can teach me.lol.

    love the Halloween constume, i only have one of those since my entire life :) 2005 at the Wyoming contry. love it.. haha

    Your Little LADY MAN is the same age as my Daughter (Siosi'ana Letele JR Taufa) 3yrs old in 6May11.. let him call her too :)

    'ofa lahi atu to your Family

    Tongan Friend.(once S'Malu)

    ReplyDelete