Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dust off those running shoes!!!

Alright people...the weather is getting beautiful out there and there is not a better time for some racing then now!!!

Race #1...BIAU (Brain Injury Association of Utah)
We had the BEST time last year getting a fun group together to come and race for this great organization. In case you forgot I will give you a little reminder!
TEAM DAKOTA!!! We rocked it!

The sad news is I signed up for the Ogden Marathon months ago because it filled up in 3 days so I made a quick decision with some friends...and later found out it is the same day as the BIAU run, walk, stroll which is May 19th. ;( Seriously I was so bummed...I want it to be a yearly tradition...so next year we will be there FOR SURE! So, since I can't go I can't force anyone else to go ;)...but if you want to go support this great cause you still can. If you don't have a Dakota shirt then I will find you one if you want to go in behalf of us. Because I was so bummed I emailed the organization to find out if there was anything else that we could do. They said we could still form a Team Dakota and just have a donation from our team. SO...I set it up and am asking anyone and everyone who can to help out...even if it's just a couple bucks.

I know there are a lot of opportunities to donate money and we can't do it all...but before you say no here are a few facts about brain injuries I took off the BIAU website:



  • Every 23 seconds, one person in the U.S. sustains a brain injury
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a silent yet serious epidemic currently leaving 5.3 million Americans with disabilities. This represents over- 2% of the US population; 56,000 victims in Utah alone!
  • Every 7 minutes, someone dies of a brain injury
  • An estimated 1.7 million people sustain a TBI annually.
  • 52,000 die

    Those are serious and I bet you know at least someone who has sustained a brain injury...if you are reading this you know at least one! ;) But seriously...this is a serious issue and it could happen to anyone...a car accident, a stroke, a fall. Zach and I have talked and decided that a brain injury is by far the worst injury anyone can sustain. Your brain controls EVERYTHING! There is SO much more to learn about the brain and SO many lives could be saved if they figured out a way to help heal this vital organ...the brain...or even understand it more. So basically what I'm saying is...every little bit helps...so do what you can. If you want to actually go and run the race here is the link race. To donate online with Team Dakota click here team Dakota.

    Last year my AWESOME friends from South Dakota State that live in the midwest obviously couldn't come down for the race. So instead they all gathered in MN from Iowa, South Dakota, and Minnesota to run in Minnesota's brain injury race. So if you live in a different state that is definitely an option as well! Here are their pic from their race...LOVE YOU GUYS!!!


    Race #2: If you read my blog you know about my angel friend Dylan Shaw!! I LOVE Dylan! He came into our life for a brief time when we needed him most and touched it in a way that no one else could. He is our angel! He passed away from a brain tumor but we will ALWAYS still be "Doin it for Dylan!" Last year before he passed away they did the Dylan Shaw Warrior Run...a 5k in Pleasant View and a kids run. I can still picture Dylan in my head driving around on the Razor with his Grandpa. He was SO cool!
    WELL...I was SOOO excited to hear they were gonna keep the race alive and do another one this year. They even asked us if they could do it for our little Dakota man. I was so hesitant at first because we have already been helped tremendously and have never felt once that we deserve any of it...BUT because it is Dylan we said YES! It is an honor to be a recipient of someone whom we admire so much! SO in honor of our hero Dylan and for our sweet angel Dakota...we are inviting any and all to dust off those running shoes and join us in Pleasant View on May 12th! We will be there for sure and I know Dylan will be too...we just won't get to see him beat us all to the finish line!
    So to sign up...here is the link https://dylanshawwarriorrun.webconnex.com/2012  HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!!
    So does Dylan and Dakota!! My heroes!

    The cute girl that is setting it all up is also looking for anyone that would donate prizes for raffle or food for after the race. If you know of anybody let me know and I will get you her info!
    Thanks!

    6 comments:

    1. Are there any races in Az???

      ReplyDelete
    2. The link is wrong. Just take out the period at the end and it'll take you to the right place. Just FYI. https://dylanshawwarriorrun.webconnex.com/2012

      ReplyDelete
    3. Tessie thank you for the race info and for sharing the videos and updates. Kaylan wanted to keep watching the videos. The 3 of you are amazing as you walk through the trials of your life. As I read your recent posts a thought crossed my mind. This is just a possibility to think about. I hope I’m not out of line and I hope I can explain it. Maybe some of the times when Dakota is having difficult days it could be part of his development ( or it could be any of things you mentioned like the stiffness that makes his muscles hurt. I wish we all had a diagnostic strip). There are periods of time in children’s lives when they are in equilibrium and times when they aren’t. It is very individualistic but I think every child (and parent) goes through this. They are adapting, growing, changing. It is frustrating and difficult. Then they settle in to their new skin sort of speaking until it’s time to go through it again. I don’t think knowing this makes it any easier and I don’t want to lessen how difficult it is for Dakota and you but sometimes being able to say “oh MAYBE this is going on” can help. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Gosh Dangit! I really want to come but I scheduled a bridal photoshoot that day. =( I will totally be there in spirit and I am going to share the link on FB! Love ya'll!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi, you don't know me, but I have a few questions about your faith. If you could please contact me, I would be very grateful. My email is SarahEMoses88@gmail.com

      Thank you and God Bless

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hey Tessie its Mary, Dakota's old nurse ;) I found your blog, and I love it!! I miss you guys. I will be in Salt Lake that Saturday and am very interested in running! my email is sui03@hotmail.com! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete